Tips for Keeping a Trim Waistline this Christmas
The average Canadian can add an inch to their waistline or 5-10 lbs over the winter months, the worst being over the holiday season. It is hard with so many parties and dinners and traveling and the weather and so many rich baked goodies….. EVERYWHERE!!! The good thing is that any weight gain is totally preventable!
I know the holidays are for relaxing and enjoying, and by all means do! But keep these tips in mind so you are not fighting for the treadmill in January in desperation to lose those 5+ extra pounds!
- Try not to overextend yourself! This encompasses a lot! The holidays are for spending time with loved ones, not slaving over the oven for hours and days! Do some baking ahead of time and freeze goods that will thaw nicely, don’t over commit yourself to too many parties and dinners, take some time for yourself and relax. When you are always on the go and rarely eating at home, you can run into a lot of meals that you can’t choose many healthy options and when dessert comes with every meal, it can add up fast!
- Check your portion sizes. Make sure you are not overeating at each meal and throughout the day as a whole. When you have a buffet Christmas dinner like at my house, it is easy to overeat because you want to sample everything. Limit yourself to your top choices only, wait 20 minutes for digestion to start then if you are still hungry, go back for more! Buffet style make it hard to limit, but stay strong, you can do it!
- Try to limit sugar! This is the toughest because it is one of the most common gifts given over the holidays. We also make every possible justification for buying some for our homes! It is also in all of our desserts and hidden in so many other foods as well. Sugar overload can cause spikes and drops in your blood sugar causing headaches among many other issues including fat gain. Try not to overindulge this holiday and if you have control over meals make sure you make them without sugar and as healthy as you can!
- Get out and move. Stick to any exercise routine that you have been on, your body will thank you come January! If you can’t, get out for a walk after meals and take the stairs at the mall instead of the escalator….unless you have a stroller!
- Keep it simple! Walk, move, eat healthier and rest! Sample one or two cookies/treats not a whole tin!
Feel free to share your ideas for keeping the extra weight off over the holidays in the comments below.
For more nutritional tips, check out this blog, it is effective year wend. You can also view my tips on YouTube here: