Review of the iPeriod App
A new year means different goals for each of us and in a post that I wrote in the fall I talked about my and my husband’s desire to finally start trying for the family we have wanted.
For the first couple months we just want to simply not take any precautions as so many family & friends have told us how stressful TTCing can be when you are so focused on it. An App that I have been using for quite some time (to keep track of when my menses will grace me with its presence because I often don’t remember if I don’t write it down somewhere!) is iPeriod and I feel like it will be of even greater use as we TTC. Here are the reasons why I like this App:
- You can set up a password to access the App - I don’t know about you but I don’t want anyone taking a peek at all this info, because you never know who will start to play around with it – my Dad always likes to take a look at what I have on my phone and I wouldn’t put it past him to open up this App without knowing exactly what he was stumbling on!
- The main screen gives you the important info right up front – when your next expected period is, how many days you have remaining in your current cycle and what day of your cycle you are on.
Notifications – you can set up alerts to notify you when your period is expected (you set up how many days in advance you would like to be notified), if your period is late, when your fertile days will be and when you should go for your breast exam. I think that the fertile days & the late period notifications will come in very handy as we move along.
- The calendar gives you a quick overview of when you’re supposed to get your period, for how many days & when your fertile days are - these dates are based on the averages you put in at the beginning (ie: how many days your cycle is & how long your periods last). For me I personally add in each of my menses days so I get a true average.
- Under the summary tab you can quickly see your average cycle length and how long it normally lasts - I also like that you can see your cycle history which I have used so many times at my yearly check-ups (before this App I would write it on a scrap piece of paper and stick it in my wallet as I knew it would be one of the first questions my Doctor would ask me).
- The Next 12 tab lets you see a year in advance when you will be graced with this wonderful womanly joy! - my husband and I like to travel and I’m not saying that I base our travel plans on this but it is just nice to see if I’ll have to potentially pack a few extra items with me. They also give you a glance at your fertile days for the year so I’m sure I will be taking a look at this when making plans (I want to make sure I keep my plans at a minimum so we can umm, focus and stay rested up for this time frame when we are in the midst of TTCing)
- This App is FREE! Really, who doesn’t like that? You do have the option to upgrade to iPeriod Ultimate for more features.
If you are like me, you have to write things down or you will forget them (my calendar is my best friend… my outlook calendar at work is full of little reminders!). This App is perfect for me to keep track of my cycle. Of course I know that this will not be 100% correct for each woman, as they themselves are unique, but it provides a guideline whether you just want to know when you can expect your period or help you when you are TTCing.
If you do use this App as you are TTCing and are successful you can then switch over to the iPregnant App. I hope that I will be able to write a review of that in the near future